Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Saturday Morning Breakfast

Saturday Morning Breakfast: Saturday Morning Breakfast:

Breakfast fixins'
One of the best things about a blog is the ongoing record in words and images of whatever it is you like to do best–saved in a storage area that is safe from the elements. I may have lost my Fannie Farmer Cookbook in the fire, but my adapted recipe to the pancakes in that book is safely cataloged here.
I love cooking a family breakfast on the weekends–partly because I love to eat a big breakfast, and I like to know what’s going into it. Sure, I’m up for a belly-blaster of hash browns, cheese, eggs, ham, etc. at a diner–no dishes for me to wash! But I’ve also gotten to the point where, even when it’s doused with hot sauce and salsa, I can taste how that food was produced.
I used to love Egg McMuffins, too, until a few years ago when I bought a couple, downed the first one in about two seconds flat, and then started eating the second one–and tasting it. I won’t pretend that I haven’t ever had one since, but that memory of that chemical flavor is usually enough to make me come to my senses.
Besides, an egg sandwich is one of the quickest and easiest things to make at home. You may be using wheat bread instead of a white English muffin; you might not have the right equipment to make that perfectly circular egg. Maybe your cheese is cheddar instead of some quick-melting pasteurized processed American cheese slice with soy lecithin added for “slice separation.” But it’s hard to go wrong taste-wise with a good egg, bread, and cheese combo–with or without Canadian bacon. You could even add some veggies of your choosing.
Another nice thing about making breakfast at home is that everyone gets at least a little something. I always use the last of the heat in the cast iron skillet and the scrapings from the batter bowl to make a little pancake for the dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment