Monday, September 24, 2012

The other day I went looking for a particular gardening tool. I knew where it was - sort of. It was out in my wooden shed somewhere. Over the past year or so I've been slowly stacking and storing way too much for my shed to hold. And then it dawned on me, its time to reorganize.




I made sure to give myself plenty of time to unload everything, organize it into piles, and finally, put it all back nice and safe. If I woke up early enough, I figured I could do the whole thing in one day. If you are doing the same with your wooden shed, make sure you give yourself enough time.





Now the fun part, waking up at the crack of dawn, I started pulling everything out. And I mean everything. I even took out some of the old shelves. Since I'm taking the time to do this, I may as well do it right. The night before I went and purchased some pegboards and a couple of cabinets to hang up.





Once I had all the items taken out, I could easily sort through things I didn't need anymore. It ended up being quite a bit. The rest I put into piles of like items, such as gardening tools in one, woodworking tools in another, and so on.





Use containers to store all the small items you intend to keep. Label the top and one side to make it easier for when you go searching for them.





Before putting everything back in the wooden shed, I cleaned it up really thoroughly and hung the pegboard a couple more shelves and cabinets.





I can now finish putting what's left outside back in the shed. A good practice is to take items that aren't used very often up higher in the shed and more out of the way. Some items, like ladders, fit perfectly up in the rafters if your shed has them.





Make it easier on yourself by putting your piles of like items back into the shed in similar groups. For example, all of your landscaping tools would go back in so they are in the same general area, all the gardening tools would be in their own area, and so on.





My wooden shed was now cleaner and so much more organized and I didn't take long at all. Now comes the biggest challenge - keeping it that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment